Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Clinging on to Summer

Not to obsess too much over seasons, but I am sure I am not the only one to step out of the door, look to the heavens and scream 'I'm not ready yet!'. Not that I want tropical heat, I am just not quite ready for the harsh British winter yet. In fact after a (very) late arriving summer, which after the initial euphoria of July left us with a rather humid August, I am ready to stick on a jumper. Unfortunately I feel I have been deprived of that late summer feeling - I went from short shorts and a t shirt to jeans, jumper and coat in the space of a week. Where is that September evening sat on the balcony sipping mint tea with a sweater on gone?
I refuse to give up yet though. Late Summer is my favourite time of year and I am going to try and stay in that mentality. Particularly since the extended weather forecast is claiming it may be going back up to 22 degrees next week, so it is probably best to stay clear of the heavy stews and apple based dishes for the time being. Instead have a fresh plate of a Mexican inspired salmon ceviche with avocado and toasted tortilla wraps. This is inspired from a recipe I saw in a magazine a long time ago, can't quite remember where it came from.






Salmon ceviche with avocado
Serves 2

- salmon, around 150g
- medium avocado, sliced
- juice of two limes
- finely sliced spring onions, 2
- red chilli, finely sliced
- chopped coriander, small handful
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- sea salt and black pepper
- tortilla wrap
- cholula hot sauce (optional, but recommended)

Note: I have been obsessed with the combination of avocado and sumac recently. Whilst I haven't tried sprinkling over ground sumac on this I am interested to see how it would go (or not go?).

With a sharp knife (sashimi if you have one) thinly slice the salmon against the grain. Place onto a plate and pour over the lime juice and set aside in the fridge for twenty minutes.
Cut the tortilla wrap in half, lightly brush with oil and place under a hot grill for a few minutes till crisp. divide the salmon between two small plates. Place the avocado slices on top, then sprinkle over the spring onions, chilli and coriander. Drizzle over the oil and salt and pepper.
Serve alongside the crisp tortilla wrap. Scoop on the ceviche, drizzle over the hot sauce and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment